- Remove any unused items from the house. This is a great time to get rid of things you don’t need and pack up things you want to save. Check out this article for tips on decluttering.
- Thoroughly clean every room, including ceiling fans, trim and baseboards, windows, dusting furniture and lamps and flooring.
- If you have pets, make sure to spend extra time on cleaning, especially upholstered furniture and carpet. Pet odors that you may not notice can be an immediate turn off for a potential buyer.
- Make sure you have a place for your pets to stay when the house is shown. If that means putting them in the laundry room, that’s ok, as long as showing agents know not to open the door. If possible, its a good idea to take barking dogs out for showings.
I’ve heard buyers say “I hate yellow” or blue, or green… when I’m wondering if I could get the paint color because I love it!!
- Any bright or dark colors may need to be changed. Many buyers want neutral colors or they may have a different color they prefer. Neutral colors usually reduce the chance of negative attention.
Spruce up the entrance
- Shrubs and trees should be pruned to allow easy access to the front door.
- Replace or remove old shrubs that are not well placed in your beds
- Add fresh mulch. Even if the beds are empty, fresh pine straw or pine bark nuggets will make them look nice and clean.
- Plant flowers near the front door, in the ground or in pots on the porch. During the winter months, make sure empty pots are removed from the area.
- Clean around the door and make any needed repairs. If the sidewalk and driveway are badly stained, have them pressure washed. Paint the door and replace the door knob if needed.
Quick check for the obvious
- Take a look at the appliances, light fixtures, window treatments, bedding, and furniture. If it’s obviously in need of replacement, this could be money well spent. Sometimes just removing an old chair or buying new pillows for the sofa is all it takes.
- It can be hard to take an objective look at your own home to try and see it as a potential buyer might.
If you need help, call or email us. We are happy to help you to decide what to do to get your home ready to sell.