With all the expenses that come up with a home purchase, it’s common to question whether the home inspection is necessary. Over the years, we’ve seen many repairs that could have caused major problems after the sale.
Examples of home inspection items that may be missed
- The garage wall needed to be re-supported to correct bowing. Buyer terminated.
- The basement wall had been re-supported due to excess weight that caused the wall to bow. The seller provided a letter from a structural engineer with a warranty and we closed.
- The wavy floor was noticed before the contract was executed. The owner/bank authorized extensive foundation work to correct the problem and we were able to close.
- Insufficient heat/cooling from HVAC. Seller attempted to have the system repaired. He had an incompetent contractor and only after agreeing to a new contractor was the problem corrected. The seller had repairs made by qualified HVAC contractor and we were able to close.
- Electrical wiring completed by the homeowner and not up to code. The work included lamp wiring to add new outlets, extension cord buried to the gazebo. The seller had repairs made by a qualified electrician and closed.
- Leak in a recently installed shower pan. Repaired by qualified tile installed and closed.
Sometimes buyers have unreasonable expectations
On a recent listing, a buyer requested an $8,000 price reduction in lieu of repairs. I completely agree to ask for a price reduction but it needs to be a reduction close to what repairs will cost. In this case, the repairs were minimal and included a couple of electrical repairs. There was also a “failed” window seal and a few minor plumbing repairs. The seller refused the price reduction and the buyer terminated the contract. The seller made some of the repairs. He also hired an electrician and window installer. The total cost was around $800 for all the repairs. The house went back on the market at a higher price and sold within 2 weeks.
It seemed that this buyer was just looking for a way out of the contract. Later I heard from his agent that he regretted not buying the house.
Here’s a list of items checked during a home inspection with inspectors in Athens.